Victim Resources
PDF Print E-mail

Victims of identity theft often feel overwhelmed. What do you need to do? How do you get started? If you subscribe to an identity theft service, contact it immediately. There are also many free sources of advice and assistance.

Identity theft victims can find good advice from the California Department of Justice. While some of the information is specific to California, most of it is useful to victims in any state.

Free counseling for identity theft victims is available from the nonprofit Identity Theft Council.

Identity theft victims can get free advice and assistance from the nonprofit Identity Theft Resource CenterThe Document Catalogue also provides fact sheets and form letters to help victims repair the damage from adult and child identity theft. 

 The Federal Trade Commission provides free information for identity theft victims, including how to Take Charge of the situation and deal with any problems that the identity theft has caused.  There is also advice about Credit, ATM and Debit Cards, What to Do if They’re Lost or Stolen. In addition, a video for social service agencies and organizations explains how they can use the Guide for Assisting Identity Theft Victims to help clients who have become identity theft victims. 

Another resource from the federal government for identity theft victims is This website provides step-by-step instructions for what victims should do and resources, such as sample letters, to help them resolve problems resulting from identity theft. For the Spanish-language version of the site, go to  

Identity thieves use stolen information in many ways, including impersonating victims for employment. See the Internal Revenue Service advice about Identity Theft and Your Tax Records.

If your Social Security number has been stolen, read the advice from the Social Security Administration about Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number.

Identity thieves may use stolen personal information to get medical services. Read the Medical ID Theft/Fraud Information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.